Sunday, May 10, 2009

Wake-up and Make-up sex over the weekend

The weekend wasn’t bad. Sorry, it was good.

The funniest comment I ever read on weekend, was in a blog. Googling on a lazy Sunday morning took me to this interesting blog where an English lady summed her weekend in two phrases, “wake-up sex and make-up sex”. I loved it. English are good at humour. They seem to be classy.

Wake-up sex: It was Audrey Tautou who took me to Spanish Apartment. I will write another post on this wonderful actress on some other day, much have to be told. Spanish Apartment, a 2002 French movie originally titled L’auberge espagnole chronicled around a bunch of college students staying together at an apartment. Wasn’t a great a movie but had that French touch to it. I remember one scene from that movie. Romain Duris, Tautou’s boyfriend is driving with his mother. They are going to see mother’s new boyfriend. Mother is old, old as in old as sixty. But she is tensed as to whether her son would like her choice and vice verca. With expressions with the most subtle coding, emphasizing the futility of the whole exercise, she says, “I have heard that Rhinoceros choose their partner and stay with that partner for the rest of their life”.

That was bit of a side track.

Spanish Apartment was huge success. It minted money in Europe and was a smash hit in other parts of the globe too. While in Australia I saw this movie at Nova on a Monday afternoon for five dollars. I know that I am going to step into another side track here, but can’t resist this. Don’t bother about Spanish Apartment but watch The Apartment (L’appartement) a 1996 French movie with Monica Bellucci, Vincent Cassel, and Romane Bohringer. This was later remade into Hollywood as ‘Wicker Park’ in 2004, avoid that.

Back to where we started. Following the huge success the producers including the director teamed up to make a sequel in 2005, Russian Dolls (Les poupees russes). Interestingly, I saw this in Australia too. As I didn’t watch first two episodes of Lord of the Rings in Australia this movie is part of my ‘history’ in Australia. As said earlier Spanish Apartment wasn’t a great movie and so was Russian Dolls. But, not boring at all.

There were two exceptional scenes in this movie. Kevin Bishop an English guy falls in love with a Russian ballet dancer and that triggers a reunion of the flat mates in Russia. They are there for the marriage. To introduce his girl friend Kevin takes the flat mates to an opera house (or where the ballet is played). She isn’t the lead actress; she is just a dancer among the ten other dancers. The friends sitting in the balcony can’t really make out her and to their amusement Kevin says, “can’t you cognize her, she is the second from last and don’t you think she is beautiful”. Well, you need to see it.

At the end, we are on to the point.

I don’t want to say all the story but the point is Romain Duris ends up having a relation ship with Kelly Reilly and there you get to see the best wake-up sex scene in a movie. French and English in bed, the camera movement and Kelly Reilly’s dialogue at the end. I will leave it there for your judgment.

Make-up sex: I hate being a champion of elucidation. However, to make sure that we all are on the same boat, the said phrase refers to that ‘catching up’ thing over the week end. Make-up not as in facial but as in make-up your loss. Only a Brit woman could bring that sarcasm into it .

So where do I stand?

Well, I slept. I finished a vodka (Danzka, produce of Holland, cranberry flavour with chilled cranberry juice and slice of lime shaken) with few friends and ate the biriyani that I made and slept. Then I woke up and had few Passport scotch with lemonade (don’t ask me on the combination, I just hate soft drinks) and slept again. And I dreamed about suicide. Today I am extremely happy and doing great, but I just wanted to tell you that I dreamed suicide this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment