Thursday, May 14, 2009

The day I challenged the stars!

I wish I could write this blog.doc in Malayalam.

I am in office on a busy day but I want to do this now. I have some risks on my table which I should finish today and then have to finish some pending work as well. All of these are the most un-creative work on earth. I have to do it as I have no other options.

As per an astrologer I will get married today! In the middle of all these things. My parents went to an astrologer and he having looked at all the stars said that I will get married within May 14, 2009. If I can trust the date on my mobile, my work station, the calendar on my mouse pad and the calendar on my room wall then today is Thursday the 14th of May and the year is 2009 (please don’t start the crap that I saw in Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock starred Lake House to tell me that it is actually 2074!)

In all the probabilities I don’t see a reason or chance of me getting married today.

I used to believe in all these stuff, astrology, palmistry and things like that until I starved in Australia. There have been days I lived on Lebanese bread. They call it kuboose in Middle East. Brunswick, a suburb in Melbourne is famous for cheap accommodation and considerable Lebanese population. I lived there for more than year during my uni days and cycled to uni which was four kilometers away. There were many Lebanese groceries in Brunswick and they all sold Lebanese bread for two dollars. They were fresh, made in early morning. Lebanese bread doesn’t get spoiled in day but they get harder. So, on the next day they kept the ‘one day old’ bread in a box and sold it for one dollar. I lived on that for quite a long time. A glass of plain water, kuboose and a rollies quenched my hunger. I never saw god there, I never saw stars there and I never encountered luck or destiny there. It was simple economics. There were many people like me which created the demand. There were many Lebanese families who run the bread making industry and that made the supply. If I had a dollar that gave the purchasing power, period.

That was the best lesson that I learned in Australia. Hard work gets you ahead in your life.

The astrologer said that he would stop doing his trade if I don’t get married within the period he said. My parents have seen a girl in Pathanapuram and if eventually I am going to marry her, then every one is going to amend the rules in astrologer’s favor. What if I don’t marry that girl?

I am not trying to crucify any one here. The moment you realize that every one is doing what they doing to earn their bread you rest in peace.

1 comment: